US President Donald Trump has said he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for coronavirus and are now self-isolating.
Mr Trump, aged 74 and therefore in a high-risk group, wrote on Twitter: “We will get through this together.”
It comes after Hope Hicks, one of his closest aides, tested positive.
Mr Trump’s announcement comes just over a month before the presidential elections on 3 November, where he faces Democratic challenger Joe Biden.
Ms Hicks, 31, travelled with Mr Trump on Air Force One to the first presidential TV debate with Mr Biden in Ohio on Tuesday. Some of Mr Trump’s family members who attended the debate were seen not wearing masks.
The Biden camp has so far made no public comments on the latest developments.
A person is required to self-isolate after either showing coronavirus symptoms or a positive test. Meanwhile, quarantine restricts the movements of those who have been in contact with an infected person, but are not themselves positive or symptomatic.
Mr Trump has mostly spurned mask-wearing and has often been pictured not socially distanced with aides or others during official engagements.
The coronavirus has infected more than 7.2 million Americans, killing more than 200,000 of them.
What do we know about Mr Trump’s health?
Mr Trump’s physician, Dr Sean Conley, released a statement late on Thursday, saying the president and the first lady were “both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence”.
“Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments,” the statement said.
The physician provided no further details.